Amaliegade 31 is one of the four baroque palaces surrounding the former Royal Frederik’s Hospital, now Designmuseum Danmark.
Architect Nicolai Eigtved was in charge of building the hospital, and on his death, King Frederik V asked Lauritz de Thurah, the architect who designed the Eremitage hunting lodge, to complete the construction work.
Inaugurated in 1758, the former hospital is now a splendid headquarter building with a view of the Citadel, the Gefion fountain and Amalienborg Palace – in the heart of the district known as Frederiksstaden, Denmark’s contribution to world architecture.
This regal district, with its distinguished streets and avenues, church, the royal residence, palaces, mansions and attractive homes, radiates from its centre – Amalienborg Palace Square and its focal point, Saly’s equestrian statue of King Frederik V. Everything here has its own place and a natural sense of belonging, and the proportions of height and space have a human dimension.
From the impressive squares to the fine details of a window or a street corner, the district offers unity in variety, borne by a single overarching aesthetic concept. Everything is in order.